Monday, January 19, 2015

2015 Day Nineteen - 30 Paintings in 30 Days


 studio, oil, 8"x 10", 'Bear River Massacre'

My painting is from a very sacred spot to the Shoshone Indians located near Preston, Idaho. I have traveled through this beautiful area many times and I have always felt a certain reverence and awe. I didn't understand or realize it's significance until I finally stopped, snapped a few pictures and read the monument and historical marker.

It was here on January 29, 1863 where over 490+ Shoshone were massacred in deep snow and bitter cold at a winter camp near the confluence of the Bear River and Beaver Creek by Colonel Patrick E. Connor and the militia of the U.S. Army's Third California force. The Bear River Massacre is the largest single-incident massacre of Indians in the American West, larger than Wounded Knee, South Dakota and Sand Creek, Colorado. It is often overlooked in history books because it occurred during the civil war.

No comments:

Post a Comment